12/11/12

Still in Pokhara



I am still in Pokhara. This little town with hills around is somehow magic for me. I like the lake with little colorful boats, the mountains often hiding in the clouds, the parachutes flying from the hill and most of all the people smiling back at me.

I rented a bike last Friday and braved the roads to go visit the Old Town of Pokhara and the Bindhya Basini Temple on the top of the hill. It took me a while to get used to the honking and the traffic, they drive on the wrong ( ha ) side of the road here! I had to get of my bike at every intersection, not being able to figure out who has the right of way.
The road went thought the residential area and there were no tourist around. The name of streets in Nepalis only. I had to ask the way few times.
I made it up in over an hour, all sweaty. I was rewarded by amazing view, with the Himalayas in background. I got a little tour around by one of the guys working for the temple, and found out that it is one of the  lucky days to get married. There were about 5 weddings in progress. What a way to spend the afternoon. Sitting in the sun, watching beautifully dressed women and man tying the knot.







Way home was going good, I was getting more confident biking on the road, thinking nothing bad could happen to me, since I got my blessings from the monk and I had a big red dot on my forehead to prove it!

Unfortunately that evening my cough got way worst and I had to stop at the pharmacy to get some cold medicine. I spend $4 for cough syrup and some tablets. Took both and went to sleep, feeling sick.
When I woke up in the morning I felt even worst, thinking about taking my antibiotics. I googled what I got from the pharmacy and was surprised it actually was antibiotics, just like that! Without prescription or even telling me what I was getting .
I spend 2 days resting and yesterday for the first time felt much better. 
I had a good breakfast and decided to go for little hike in the afternoon. I read in the Lonely Planet about the hills north of Pokhara. Looked in my map and found little trail that looked promising.
It was more up the hill than I thought, but I couldn't turn back, hoping to get up to see some nice views. Two ours of hard work and I was on the top of a hill. There were quite few settlements around, little houses with gardens. To my excitement it turned out to be the hill I see from my hotel and there were para-gliders taking of it. So I set down, and watched them gliding around.




I rented the bike again today. Biking to the other side of Pokhara this time. To the trail head to Peace Monument. It is white Stupa you can see on top of the hill across the lake from Pokhara. I got lucky and after many days the peaks peeked out from the clouds and I could see where all the Pokhara postcards photos were taken from.





I am packing tonight, getting ready to take the 6 hours long bus ride to the Chitwan National Park. New adventure? I hope so!