12/6/12

Pokhara


I read about the road conditions in Nepal before, but only when I got on the bus heading out of Kathmandu I really understood. Narrow roads, with broken paving here and there. Trucks, buses, trying to pass in sharp turns. Fortunately everybody is driving pretty slow, except, I guess, the truck that we saw crushed into the hill and the bus, that didn't make it and was of the side of the road.

The countryside was changing and as we were coming closer to Pokhara, it got warmer and more tropical. We were sure happy about that!

Pokhara is little town, set by a lake. It has a vacation town feel and I fell in love with it right a way! No more honking and crazy driving, with cows walking on the streets here and there.

I spend the last 2 days resting, sitting in the sun, drinking tea and reading a book I picked up in used book store in Kathmandu. You can see the para gliders gliding in the sky, colorful parachutes, 50 at a time. I made it a point to go watch the sunset over the lake every night, take few pictures.

I am staying alone now in a little hotel near the center of the town. My room is painted pink and has hot shower! I have the street view and little balcony I can sit at and look at the lake and the hills. That all for $5/ night. I bought some little decorations and hang them up in my room, now this is my home... at least for the next few days.