1/10/13

Yangon, Myanmar

I left Kathmandu early in the morning and made it to Thailand via Delhi by 7 pm local time . I booked a hostel based on recommendation from Lonely Planet and was very pleased to find Reffil Now to be a modern and clean hostel with pool, tropical garden and amazing shower.
I had a fish for dinner at one of the local restaurants at the street and was enjoying the warm night.

I wasn't leaving for Myanmar until evening, so I had almost whole day to walk around the neighborhood and buy and eat as many varieties of fresh fruit as I could find.

Taxi took me to the new train station, where I took a airport link train to the airport. The Bangkok airport is huge, it feels more like a giant shopping mall that an airport.

The flight to Myanmar only took an hour. The airport was very small especially compare to Bangkok and Delhi.
Visa control was easy and I was soon in the taxi into the hotel to meet my friend Ken ( from California) who I will travel for some time with. Having a travel buddy seemed like a good ideal, considering that the political situation up north is still not very stable.
 We celebrated our get together with few beers.

First impression I had from the city?...Yangon is huge and modern ( 5.4 mil of people). Men are wearing tied skirts around their narrow hips, beer costs about a $1, women are using yellow powder for sunblock and often carry umbrella for shade. The food is good. People are very friendly and helpful.

We are taking train to Bogo tomorrow. I am not sure if there will be Internet in the smaller towns, but I will try to update if possible.

For now, enjoy the pictures from today and wish us luck with our next travels.