1/4/13

Biking in Kathmandu... Patan

January3th,
I am back in Kathmandu. I decided to stay for 6 days to see if I can truly explore this town. I am staying in a private room with balcony in a nice hostel. The shower gets too hot and I am for sure not complaining about that.
I finally made plans for the next country to visit. I heard from travelers I met that Myanmar is amazing. It will be my next destination.
There is an embassy in Kathmandu and it seemed like a good idea to get my visa here instead of Bangkok as I originally intended.
So I hired a bicycle, bought a face mask ( so I would not die from all that smog) and using the directions from my Lonely Planet got on the road. The traffic was crazy, nothing like what I was used to from Pokhara. Cars and motorcycles passing me, honking and I had to get of my bike a lot in sections where the traffic got too dense to be safe. It was up the hill and it took me almost two hours to get there.
I filled up the application and gave them brand new $20 ( in Myanmar it is a big deal, they only accept new and unfolded bills). Only after all this I asked how long it will take and was to find out that unlike in Bangkok it takes 3-4 days for the visa to be processed. It being Thursday and the embassy being closed on Friday, Sat and Sunday, the chance wasn't too good. I am flying to Thailand on Tuesday. I tried my best to push on the case and they told me they will try.
So I got on my bike and took a little detour to Pathan, old part of Kathmandu, which has narrow little streets with craft stores, Durbar Square with lot's of temples and rather romantic atmosphere.
I spend few hours walking around, watching people and taking pictures. There was a movie crew filming a movie and it was fun to watch what will most likely be next Nepali movie hit.

Long way down in bad traffic, getting lost in the net of streets, to find myself in Thamel just before it got dark. The reception had a message for me from the Embassy, that my visa are ready.
I had good Indian dinner and I was spent for the day.






                                          The movie filming..


                                           My two wheels...