11/17/12

Day two

I met up with my trekking buddy Kat. We teamed up with the boys and after they awesome negotiating stills, we rented a car with a driver for the whole day to go see some of many UNESCO sides near Kathmandu.
We went to see few temples first and I was taken back by the colores and people. white buildings decorated with red, yellow, green and blue praying flags. Women wearing colorful saris and  monkeys running around.
Than we visited Hindu temple,  where I somehow unexpectedly got to whiteness local funerals, which are performed in a for us Westerners, somehow   shocking way of burning the death bodies by the river.  I was overwhelmed, getting sick from the smell of burning bodies, not really understanding why they even allow the tourist to come here.  I guess I knew I will get bit of a culture shock at some point and that was it for me.
I got in a little better mood after we went on got to watch the monkeys playing.
We went to an old town to just for the time for the sunset. walking through narrow streets with old wooden buildings. Seems like it is a place where the locals spend free time, with only few tourists around.
It was a long day and we were glad to get back to our " tourist bubble " Thamel, where me and Kat found a room overlooking garden near the center.
Dinner in the near restaurant was nice, and I finally got some time to call my mom and my bank, and download the pictures from the trip.
The good feeling from the day got spoiled after Kat came back from the town, without her I pad, that got taken away from her.  we tried to find a way to locate it, but unfortunately it seems to be lost forever.