11/17/12

Day one, finally here!


I am trying to organize my thoughts, but there is so much happening .
2 flights and than long long layover on Delhi, where i was taking nap with my new Swedish  "airport"friends surrounded by new and shiny duty free shops.
Followed by flight to Kathmandu in a old airplane, full of people and smells. And than we got closer to landing and you could see the mountains and little houses on top of the hills and little terrace fields around them. What a beauty!
Landing was rough,  and the little airport was old fashion, so much different then its shiny bigger sister in Delhi.
I got my visa, for 30 days for now . I met two brothers from Slovak . My guide Krishna was waiting for me with my name ob the board, and agreed to take the boys to town with me.
So there I was, in the taxi, sitting between the boys on the back seat, taking in the sunset view of the Himalayas, while trying to listen to what my guide was taking about, praying that the crazy ride on the wrong side of the street would be over soon, checking out And trying not to be shocked by what I was expecting to see... Poor people along side the road, sorting out trash, old buildings, more local people everywhere and yes! The cow crossing the street...
Walking in the streets of Thamel ( center of Kathmandu) was exciting, with streets narrow just for one car and you have cars passing you by centimeters and you see rickshaws and motorcycles and tourists and shops and more shops.
The town is lit up with christmas lights and flower chains are hanging in the windows.
And the noises and the smells, not always pleasant.
Our hotel is ugly , but cheap, bathroom has bucket flushing toilet and no toilet paper and I can hear the music from near bar that will most likely stay open whole night.
I can's sleep, there is so much going on!
I can't wait to see more tomorrow!
photo.JPG