10/5/13

Koh Tao

What can I say about this little tropical Island. Koh Tao means Turtle Island. I fell in love with this little 19,2 square kilometers island with it's steep trails, green inland and lovely bays, full of fish. It became my home away from home pretty fast.





It is said to be a good place to loose your diving virginity. And that is what I did. I came across one small diving shop on one of my walks and signed up for my Open Water course. Diving turned out to be way more challenging than I thought, but with the great instructors I stayed with it and ended up discovering the beauty of diving. Instead of staying for 4 days as planned I am only leaving today after 2 weeks. Roctopus was exactly what I hope it would be, great school with fun people to hang out with.





I spent my mornings running to the view point at the north of the island. Hiking to the remote bays during the day, and walking on the beach and occasionally partying in the evenings.

I only rented a scooter one day, just to find out there is a big spam going on with rentals. When I returned my bike in the evening, i was charged 6500B for scratch, that was already there when I rented the bike. I didn't take a photo beforehand and so I had to pay. "Buying my passport back" was 4000B and it sure was expensive lesson to learn.

Than on I would walk everywhere. Hiking is a great way to explore the island and also great exercise. My favorite place was the Laem Thiam bay, where I would often be the only person there. It has a little beach and awesome snorkeling. There is a closed down resort there, which gives it a spooky vibe and exploring the abandoned resort was little adventure on it's own.

I am leaving on the night boat tonight, Krabi being my next destination. I will miss my friends from Koh Tao.I hope I will come back one day and maybe dive with the whale shark that I wasn't lucky to see yet.


No comments: