2/23/13

Boat to Chiang Rai and I made it to Laos!

Taking boat from Taton to Chiang Rai turned out to be a pleasant way to travel. Twelve person boat, with all our stuff loaded to the front of the boat. We were sitting on the floor, getting all cosy. It got rather adventures when we hit the rapids and what felt like buckets full of water splashed over the edge at us. Just like rafting. ! Passing fisherman, kids swimming and later elephants taking tourists on the river ride.




Chiang Rai won  as my least favorite town in Thailand. To compare to Chiang Mai... Chiang Mai has the old town, Chian Rai has.... prostitutes at the bars, overpriced restaurants and not too exciting night market. My favorite... Boots cosmetic store..... I spend hour looking, smelling and testing... and I really needed that new nail polish! Especially since it was buy one get one free.












Border crossing and Laos
Four hours on the bus and we came to little village at the border.  I got my passport stamped out from Thailand and got on the boat to take me across the Megkong river to Laos. Some paperwork on the Laos side and I have new visa in my passport ( little collection by now).
Huay Xai is less than mile away from Thailand, but I am noticing the differences in architecture right away.
Food is about the same price, beer is $1. I found a room in hotel in original colonial building, with balcony with river views. That all for $8.
I stopped at the ATM, and now I am a millionaire ( ok, got out $100). I watched sunset from the temple on the top of the hill. Some kids-monks were hanging out there too, posing for my pictures as the almost full moon shone above the temple.

Laos is on the other side of the river



People import all sorts of things from Thailand..


View of Mekong river...




I am excited to start exploring Laos. Laos is one of the 20 poorest countries in the world, it will be interesting to be comparing the life here with the life in Thailand and Burma.

No comments: