1/9/14

Australia and New Zealand

I am way overdue with this post. So here it is, the last few weeks of my travels before I found home for the Summer next to beautiful Lake Wakatipu, working in Kinloch Lodge.

Sydney
I only had 4 days to visit Sydney. I accepted the invitation from my friends Adrian and Anita, who I met in Bali, to stay with them in north Sydney. It was good times.














New Zealand

Auckland
I got lucky to get offer to stay with my friend's Graces parents in North Auckland. I spend the 5 days getting my paperwork sorted out. Getting my tax number, phone number and opening a bank account was easy thanks being able to use local address.
I put my CV together and sent it out to few places. The same day got job offer from Kinloch Lodge for kitchen hand.

I left the next day on the night bus to Wellington.









Wellington
I got there at 6 am and was welcomed by strong wind and empty streets. I left my backpack in the near hostel and set out to explore the town. 
I met up with my friend Grace in the afternoon, who took me to the cow far where she works for few days. 












Staying on the farm was an experience. I even got to help with milking one evening. And yes, walking behind the cows is poop dangerous... 







We went running in the evenings and Grace took a day of to take me to the beach. It was nice 2 days. I took the train back to Wellington early in the morning and than took the ferry across to the South Island. The boat trip was amazing, the fjords, with mountains in the background. I was glad I decided not to fly directly to Queenstown. 




Final bus of the day drove me on the coastal road south, all the way to Christchurch. 

Christchurch

What a depressing city! It got hit by 2  big earthquakes and was left with broken downtown. It is one big construction zone in the city center with the old cathedral left there all fallen apart. The beautiful botanical garden near the museum turned out to be my favorite place in the city for walks and the container square was interesting place to go shopping.  

I spent 2 days there, the bus to Queenstown was sold out for the next day. The tourist season was soon to be in its peek.









Bus ride to Quenstown was how different than beautiful. We stopped by the Tenape Lake and I was in photographing heaven when I saw all the colorful lupins in bloom. 





Queenstown
I only arrived to this mountain town in the evening. I quickly visited few shops to get few things before I would continue to Kinloch in the morning. It was raining, but I could see why people find it charming. 

Kinloch
I found a home for the summer in this small lodge by the blanket blue lake. It was exactly what I was looking for. Job in the middle of beautiful nowhere. 








I hope to stay here for the Summer and enjoy the great nature that this area has to offer. 
I will keep you updated on my future adventures. 

No comments: